Training with prepping for PT test (endurance based)

Discussion in 'Training' started by fluteangel, Oct 19, 2009.

1. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

Oh boy, you know what? A LOT of information helped. Like I said, I'm doing Patrick Ward's K.I.S.S program because I was looking for lower volume and hadn't seen an example of that - so that really helped.

This helped too from PlankIT:
    Also got some great info on improving my run time, etc. on another board.

But in my question to setting up a 4-day Heavy/Light Upper/Lower split, I don't remember that actually getting answered. It's in the first post, but it's the only one without a template.

2. fluteangel

Exactly.

3. Sohee

Sohee working on the bikini body

:funny:

4. Sohee

People give free advice all the time. You don't need a certificate for that.
    If you're calling yourself a professional and receiving payment for it, then yes. I'm talking about legalities, not "Can you please give me advice on what I should have for lunch today?"

The big deal? The big deal is that that would make it seem okay for anyone who does not have a nutrition certification to dole out plans for payment to others. While you may know your stuff, it's much safer to have the credentials to back yourself.

I'm not talking about morals or "this is what I think"; it's a legal issue. Not to mention a lack of understanding of how food really works, etc.

We know that. That's not the point.

And unfortunately, the large majority of trainers have no idea what they're doing when it comes to diet.

5. Erik

Erik Admin

It's one thing if you're just giving out free advice. I think it's another if you're a professing professional accepting money for specific diet plans. :shrug: That said, not everyone 1) agrees with this and 2) does this. Add to that, that there are many people who are very smart with nutrition that have no formal 'nutrition background'. I might even say the smartest have no formal nutrition background. Me personally, although I have various certifications, I'm self taught by experience and my own separate learning primarily.

It's a slippery slope I guess.

My issue, and I don't mean any offense by this, is that I don't think you (Angela) have the background/knowledge to position yourself as an expert in nutrition for cosmetic gain at this point in your 'educational career'.

As a side note, technically, nutritionist tends to be a catch-all term these days, with 'registered dietician' being the real category of profession with strong legal backing.

6. Sohee

I really don't understand what you're trying to say in this thread. I'm going to try my best, though.

:suicide: What is your definition of "ignoring"? Is it different from everyone else's?

But that's what's implied. If I say, "I'm talking to someone I like on the phone while walking and chewing gum," obviously people are going to think that I was doing all three things at once, since grammatically, that is what it means. If that's not what you meant, then fix the sentence.

If you're not certified, then why do they come to you? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks as though you give individuals the option, on your website, to purchase a nutrition plan from you right away, without prior consulting, they chose to do so.

Actually, it's a combination of being annoyed and the fact that you keep missing the point. Why don't you address all of the other points that have been made in this thread? Not just the ones that were explicitly framed as questions.

So just because someone else does something, you think it's okay to do it?
    Angela, in the past, you've gotten upset when we did not answer your questions. Now you make it sound like it's okay to do that.

Then why did you ask if I was? Did you think that I had no life, and when I wasn't spending all my time studying, in class, or working, that I chose to spend my free time following you?

7. Sohee

I have read everything in this thread, thank you very much. My statements you quoted were from BEFORE you actually made your blanket statement -- very sarcastic, might I add -- so nice try on attempting to make me look like an asshole.

What is 1+1?

But you were fuming before. That was days ago I asked that question.
    If a friend was not feeling well last week, I might have asked her, "Do you have a fever?" She's not going to come back to me today, completely healthy again, and say "No, I don't have a fever." That doesn't make sense.

I'm in the wrong for what? Your motivates are what? What doesn't really matter?

I don't have a clue what you're saying.

"Do you have no common sense?"
    "Sometimes I want to stab myself in the face."

Thank you for the warning. Fortunately I do not have that problem.

It makes people question your credibility.

Glad you've got that figured out.

Out of context again.

Are you reading the posts out of order or something?

Good.

Don't read it? Then why do you ask those questions in the first place?

You implied it in your "Why is everyone ignoring me?" posts.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  8. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Angela, I agree with Sohee. "At the same time" is implied in that sentence, and I don't believe you can't see that.

9. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

I looked it up after I posted this actually. And it says that most trainers are allowed to give out basic ideas and plans, but not specific individualized plans, that would be prescribed diet plans. Also they are not allowed to give nutrition advice in the treatment of a disease (ie diabetes).

I also read somewhere else, where it is stated that generic plans are fine as long as you are not claiming to be a nutritionist. And most people have a disclaimer that saves them from any liability. It is like people who write nutrition books, etc...some of them do not have nutrition certifications, nor medical degrees, and thus have disclaimers to save from litigation.

And yeah, there are alot of trainers that dont know what they are doing nutrition wise, and actually also not physical training wise either.

10. Sohee

Very helpful information. Thank you.

I do believe that Angela gives out specific meal plans.

"Take the guesswork [out] of wondering what to eat and how to time your meals."
    "Leave your body in the hands of a professional. Your meals will be planned out for you based on your food preferences.... "

Nowhere on the website does she have a disclaimer.

...hence the reason I was pointing it out to her, yet she chose to take it as an attack. She can choose to ignore the warning and get sued later on down the road, obtain an nutrition certification, or change/remove her nutrition services.

11. Redone

Redone Member

12. fluteangel

You are right, I do not have a disclaimer on the site. When a client signs up with me, even before they sign up, in our initial conversation, I make it very clear that I am not a nutritionist and I do not have the legality to tell them what to eat. What I am giving them are suggestions. If they care to know, I tell them the math of how I came to their macros, I give them all their macros and explain how it works, how I come to those numbers and how they can manipulate them themselves - though most of the people I have talked to have told me they really don't care. Most people would rather have me figure things out for them and give them suggestions that they can modify after they've gotten familiar with better eating. Nevertheless, in each nutrition plan, I lay out all the math and macros, even if they don't care.

Yes, I have paypal buttons on my site, but people contact me BEFORE they click on them and we talk about things before purchase. Even if someone did purchase a nutrition plan from me without talking to me first, I still send them information with a disclaimer telling them I am NOT a nutritionist, etc. If they do not want to continue with me from that point on, if someone has paid, I would refund their money.

Thank you for clarifying it for me, both of you. I will go ahead and put a disclaimer on my site, instead of just on the paperwork. I definitely don't want to get sued. It's clear on my paperwork, but not the website. I'll change that.

13. fluteangel

Yup, and I've been looking at that. In the PT cert there is also a lot of information on meal planning, macros, calorie manipulation, etc. They prefer to use the zig-zag method.

But I'm actually looking at this more: http://www.issaonline.com/certification/nutrition-certification/

Dr. John Berardi's name is a little more well-known to me.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  14. Redone

Redone Member

You missed my point.

You can BUY a cert, but at this point, Angela, you have yet to show that you have a firm grasp on the material.

I'd highly endorse putting time into actually applying the knowledge you are currently collecting....THEN, once you really feel you understand it, consider charging for it.

Which would you rather do:

-disappoint clients

or

-impress them

??

As you don't seem comfortable trusting yourself at this point, why should you expect a client to? Or do you just not consider anyone else to be as complex as you are?

• Like Like x 1
  15. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

16. Erik

Erik Admin

Well, I wasn't going to say it but ... yeah. I think I've posted my views on the iSSA certifications more than once over the years.

I have a copy of the SPN from back in my MT days and ... well, you get the idea. I wonder if it's changed - pretty darn easy to get.

17. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Wow! ISSA must be pretty bad if you learn more reading the O2 board. :lol:

18. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

:lol: Yeah I remember you saying that

I think I learned more from my "certification" from GNC on School of Srength and Sports Nutrition about nutrition then I did from ISSA's SPN and I got PAID to take that one :lol3:

19. Redone

Redone Member

I agree completely - It is a joke cert....is it even NOCA accredited? (EDIT: nope!)

Random, but has anyone ever heard of someone failing ISSA?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  20. jaleena

jaleena Banned

I actually wound up with a lot from O2! That's what got me lifting, after I'd been brainwashed about accidentally waking up Ruhl-sized after a week :oops: :lol3:
    It's not even like I have aspirations of being dainty, there was just some honest idiocy about waking up super-sized. Even though I'd done well in chemistry courses to know that matter can't be created from nothing.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009