Traveling with Protein Powder....

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Sarawithanh, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Aaron_F

Aaron_F A Grade Asshat

airports, or countries? as in going from USA to the European Union, Australasia etc.

Hell, my friend got pinged at the airport because he brought back mustard into the country from the USA. He declared, they threw it out because it contained honey.

It was processed, probably pasteurised etc, but because it had honey, it was gone.

2. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

I looked up Ireland's issues w/ food specifically - packaged/processed goods are ok - such as trail mix, protein bars, oatmeal

fresh fruits & veggies, milk, milk products, meats, fishes, etc prohibited :shades:

http://www.revenue.ie/pdf/02_01_CETI_06.pdf

3. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

weird. i dunno why i'm freaking out about this.....I dont think its gonna be an issue....I talked to my friend, a citizen of ireland - we dont need to declare anything b/c we won't have anything declarable. go thru green channel - good to go.

4. Aaron_F

Aaron_F A Grade Asshat

I was talking about protein powder, like the title of the thread, under the assumption that by protein powder you are talking about dairy or milk based powder.

The document you linked is for people lookign at Importing products, not visitors bringing food items in..

but as they say in the document

Rules governing the Common Agricultural Policy of the European Union prohibit the importation of certain agricultural goods from countries outside the Community without a valid Community licence. These licenses are issued in Ireland by the Department of Agriculture and Food, Agriculture House, Kildare Street, Dublin 2, telephone (01) 6072000, LoCall 1890 20 05 10, (www.agriculture.gov.ie or email: info@agriculture.gov.ie) to which any enquiries should be made. However, import licences in respect of dairy products, cereals and rice are issued by that Department's offices in Johnstown Castle Estate, Wexford (Telephone 053-63400, LoCall 1890 200 509). Similar licenses issued by the competent authorities in other Member States of the EU are valid for use in this country. The goods concerned include certain products covered by common organisations of the markets
    established under EC Regulations viz., cereals, rice, beef and veal, sugar, isoglucose, oils and fats, seeds, milk and milk products, wine and related products (The ' related products' are grape juice (including grape must) ex CN code 2009 69 and other grape musts falling under CN codes 2204 30 92, 2204 30 94, 2204 30 96, 2204 30 98, processed fruit, vegetables, sheepmeat and goat meat.

5. Aaron_F

Aaron_F A Grade Asshat

You dont need to freak out in the slightest - To put it very clearly, declare it.

That solves all problems, unless they throw it in the rubbish, in whichever case it doesnt matter if you brought it or not.

If you take protein powder that is dairy based through Irish customs, from the USA, and do not declare it - and they find it - you will be fined.

If your friend takes protein powder that is dairy based through irish customs from Germany, and does not declare it - and they find it - he will not be fined.

Country of Origin is important

oh, and more stuff from your link

DAIRY PRODUCTS, ETC.
    The following are prohibited to be imported from non-EU countries except as indicated below:
    (a) Milk and cream - whether or not preserved, concentrated, condensed, dried, powdered or
    sweetened
    except in compliance with a general authorisation or licence issued by the Minister
    for Agriculture and Food is required in accordance with European Communities (Diseases of
    Animals Acts, 1966 and 1979 Orders) (General Authorisation for Imports) Regulations, 1985,
    Importation of Milk and Cream (Prohibition) Order, 1967 and European Communities (Hygienic
    Production and Placing on the Market of Raw Milk, Heat-treated Milk and Milk Based Products,
    Regulations, 1996). (S.I. No.9 of 1996).
    For the purposes of the above:
    “milk” means full cream or skimmed milk, buttermilk, whey, kephir, all yoghurt including
    flavoured and prepared yoghurt, similar fermented milk and colostrum.
    (b) Butter, cream, margarine or milk, where they have been adulterated or impoverished [Sale of
    Food and Drugs Act, 1899; Butter and Margarine Act, 1907].

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  6. char-dawg

char-dawg Mr. Observant

I've flown all over the world with PP and never had a problem. Never into the UK, though. :shrug:

I usually take a bag or two on board with me, in baggies that are in turn in a shaker, and ask the stewardess to give me some water to shake it up with. Never a problem, but as someone said a white powder might seem more suspicious, and I usually travel with chocolate.

If you were caught with PP at a customs gate, I would at least try lying about the origin of said powder (i.e., no it's not dairy-based, it's completely artificially manufactured... and I'd have a website for them to look at as well.). What are they going to do - test it right there? I kinda doubt it.

If they find it to be suspicious for whatever reason, though, they will confiscate it and throw it out. So be prepared for that.

7. jrb1980

jrb1980 Well-Known Member

Just happened to my friend. Actually she got flagged for explosives and it was a big deal.:funny:

All over a little Whey Gourmet

8. Sportsgirl

Sportsgirl Well-Known Member

I got my protein powder chucked out when I went from Australia into New Zealand. Reason being: it wasn't in it's original container (cos it was bloody huge).

The woman at customs said some ingrediants weren't allowed in the country, so since she wasn't sure what was in it, she had to chuck it out anyway.

9. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

Well I determined that I'm not going to be traveling with protein powder so thats done.

Everything else I am traveling with I don't need to declare because its not prohibited - I am good to go thru the Green Channel.

woohoo 1 day left!