Ways to eat Ground turkey breast

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by straitshooter, Jun 29, 2007.

1. straitshooter

straitshooter Active Member

I have been eating a lot of ground turkey breast as I find it easier to cook with. 2 things I have been doing....boring but at least they taste good and i like them!:yum:

1.) I buy a package of Jennie-O Ground Turkey Breast and I mince some cilantro into it and make them into patties which i put in the pan and cook w/ cooking spray.

Then I use sugar-free or low-sugar catsup and add roasted red/yellow peppers (in the jar from Trader joes) to the catsup (along w/ some of the juice from the peppers) and that's what i dip my turkey patties into!

Now, this was acutally a VERY modified recipe that I got from Iron Trybe...that one had breadcrumbs in it and other things that i took out because they didn't work in my diet plan.

2) My good ole' stand by is to cook the ground turkey breast like you would ground beef, in the pan (no need to drain as there's no fat in it) and i just add hot taco seasoning (like Ortega in the little packet), follow the directions....that's it.
    Basically, it tastes just like i am eating taco meat! It's soooo good. I really enjoy the taste.

:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

i like to add just some jarred garlic with liquid.

I've added chopped spinach

at Donna(jo) suggestions mince mushrooms.

made meatballs by baking them at 400 in the oven.
    made a meatsauce by sauting it
    or a burger by pan 'frying' it and serving on lettuce leaves

added some italian seasonings and made sausage out of them, then served with sauted peppers and onions.

glad my tummy is full, i'd be drooling!

3. Lynny

Lynny I like me.

Yum!!! Irish- I do the taco seasoning thing frequently. So easy and so good! I'm going to have to try the first one though. ;) Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

I add Mrs Dash Italian seasoning and lots of garlic then cook. I then mix it with cc and my veggies and add more of the Italians seasoning.

5. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

I'm big on the taco seasoning w/ my ground turkey. Eat it ALOT.

I've also done baked meatballs - use chopped mushrooms instead of breadcrumbs, etc.

I've done ground turkey patties sauteed on stove w/ cooking spray too.

I too am looking for other ideas outside of these staples

6. mcv

mcv Blissfully Maintaining

I am a big fan of ground turkey cooked with lots of soy sauce, ginger and green onions.

7. Ana

Ana Think back...Move forward

I need to branch out, I just bake the suckers. Irish that sounds so :yum:

8. ritzgal

ritzgal Well-Known Member

When you guys are doing things like patties, how do you ensure that they are the weight you need? Do you have a formula for uncooked weight=cooked weight?

9. Inatic

I weigh out my amt of raw meat (currently how specified) for ea burger, then proceed with ingredients.

10. straitshooter

i've weighed the turkey breast raw AND cooked....it's the same. :)

11. Cass

Cass Well-Known Member

You can make it into any kind of "sausage". Hot, garlic, breakfast etc. I have some recipes at home, if anyone is interested.

12. BSNJunkie

BSNJunkie Bleeds Purple

I'd like to make some turkey sausage. It would be easy to make ahead and freeze. What is the recipe for breakfast sausage?

13. MuscleMama

MuscleMama Guest

I eat ground turkey a lot. I usually cook up 1-2 pkgs with some chopped garlic and onions and keep that in the fridge. Then I portion out

1/4C lf cottage cheese spread out on the bottom of my plate
    3/4C ground turkey
    2T salsa on top
    sometimes a cut up cheese stick or some shredded cheese

Then I microwave it, stir it up and eat! Sometimes I scoop it up with triscuits if I can spare the carbs. My healthy mexican fix! :drool:

14. Inatic

I have a few.

Tex-Mex Turkey Breakfast Sausage
    From my friend Arlene
    Makes 8 servings

Ingredients:

8 ounces lean turkey breast
    nonstick cooking spray
    1 egg white slightly beaten
    4 green onions, finely chopped (1/4 C)
    1/4 C finely chopped red or green sweet peppers
    1/4 C coarsely shredded carrot
    3 T quick-cooking rolled oats
    1 large clove garlic, minced
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. ground cumin
    1/4 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Spray the unheated rack of a broiler pan or a baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine egg white, chopped green onion, chopped sweet pepper, carrots, oats, garlic, salt, cumin, oregano and ground pepper. Add turkey and mix well. Shape mixture into eight 2-inch patties. Place patties in prepared pan and bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and no longer pink.

Serving Size: 1 patty

Per Serving: 43 calories
    6 grams protein, 1 gram fat, 2 grams carbohydrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Turkey Breakfast Sausage
    From Cooking Light

It got a four star rating on their site.. sounds like it would be worth a try

"I make two batches of this sausage and freeze some in small bags. Microwave it to reheat." --CL Reader

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1/2 cup shredded peeled Fuji or Braeburn apple
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 pounds ground turkey breast
    Cooking spray

Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and apple; sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Remove onion mixture from pan; cool completely.
    Combine onion mixture, thyme, sage, salt, pepper, and turkey, stirring well to combine. Divide mixture into 24 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add half of patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining patties.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3 patties)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 155(15% from fat); FAT 2.5g(sat 0.5g,mono 1.4g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 28.1g; CHOLESTEROL 70mg; CALCIUM 23mg; SODIUM 349mg; FIBER 0.7g; IRON 1.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 3.4g

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2002

I tho i had a spicey one somewhere too will look.

15. Inatic

Here it is :)

Spicy Sausage (Mr. Food- Meat around the table)
    1lb gr.pork( i used gr. turkey breast)
    1 sm onion finely chopped
    1 tsp thyme
    1tsp salt
    1 tsp fennel crushed(put in sm coffee grinder)
    1/2 tsp bl pepper
    1/4 tsp gr. cayenne pepper

Mix all ingredients and form into 16 links or patties. Pan fry over med heat for 6-8 minutes..

16. Monkey

Monkey Member

I am eating ground turkey for dinner right now. I just threw in a skillet a bunch of things I had on hand: cook ground turkey, drain, add broccoli florets, season w/ soy sauce and I put in a lil bit of natty pb and topped with seasame seeds.

17. straitshooter

My friend Mike gave me this idea....seems pretty basic but I tried one of them (he brought one for me to eat at the gym) and it was really good~ he actually used the 93% ground turkey because it's cheaper (and he's 3 weeks out and eating a LOT of turkey so he needs to save $ i guess).

add lite soy sauce, worchesterchire sauce, black pepper, onion, and garlic powder to your raw turkey in a ziplock and let marinate overnight.

Make into patties and grill on a BBQ grill (he says the Foreman destroys them.....I wouldn't know, it's all i have) or you can "pan-grill" them w/ Pam spray.

These were really good!

18. cejk

cejk Senior Member

red,yellow, green pepper and onions, with mexican rotel- Good by itself, even better over romaine- reminds me of taco salad!! Without the shell of course.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mols

Mols My BFF

i never cooked it before today, but i just made patties with chopped fresh spinach and red pepper....and some mrs. dash and oregano. YUM these are good...

20. RunGVegas

RunGVegas New Member

I add 2 eggwhites, garlic powder, and tamari sauce to make patties that I grill outside. Then I slice each patty in half and fold 4-5 eggwhites over the patty halves with some fat-free cheddar on top. Cheeseburger Omelettes!