Weight training at maintenance cals while optimizing thyroid hormone

Discussion in 'Training' started by fluteangel, May 25, 2009.

1. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

So I've been put on maintenance calories and quit working with Noel until my hormones have stabilized and my thyroid meds have been optimized. I was recently diagnosed with a hypothyroid and my question is this:
    WHat workout is best for me while I'm recovering?

I still want to lift weights (not just do yoga and stuff) and I hate the thought of losing my hard earned muscle, but I know rest is important and the guidelines she gave me are that basically I need to cut down on TOTAL VOLUME. That's fine, but what kind of exercises should I be doing? I've been going back and forth between a modified 5x5 (doing 3x5 but not really heavy, just concentrating on the compound movements, taking lots of rest) and my last workouts with Noel, but with less volume, though they were more depletion style.

Any ideas? :help:

2. Original Kloe®

Original Kloe® *sizzle*

Lift HEAVY, low rep.

If I were in this situation, I'd do 3 days full body compound movements: squat, dl, row, bench...

There's no reason why you should lose muscle if you're on maintenance cals and lifting heavy a few days a week.

And cardio I'd probably omit, or keep to a minimum.

3. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

Right, that's what I have been doing, which is why I migrated to the 5x5 setup: because it concentrates on those full body compound movements. Just wondering if there was a better set up, I don't want to under or over train, especially now that I'm getting more energy - don't want to end up doing too much, but I don't want to cheat myself either, you know?

Sounds like I've been doing the right thing, so far :thumb: