what about ONLY HIIT?

Discussion in 'Training' started by straitshooter, Jul 3, 2007.

1. straitshooter

straitshooter Active Member

I am travelling a lot (as usual), and would like to make HIIT my ONLY source of cardio at this point.....I can get a killer workout in 25 minutes....(i've been doing HIIT on the stationary bike....5 min warm up, 20/40 intervals x15, then 5 min cooldown).

My question is this.....I want to do about 4 days of cardio this way, and ONLY this way, with no steady state at all....as, like i stated, i feel i get the most bang for my buck this way, especially since I can get it done quickly since i don't have a lot of time.

is this OK? Or do most of you add some SS into your cardio regime?

I'm not pre-comp....just want to keep my cardio up somewhat during the off-season.

Thoughts?
    Thanks.

2. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

I think three would be fine. You'll be pushing it w/ four.

3. straitshooter

what would happen if i did 4? or even more? would it be considered overtraining?

4. Blondell

Yes, ma'm. HIIT works your legs much in the same way that weight training does.

5. Blondell

I'd assume if you broke up two sessions in the same day that could work. :unsure:

6. Erik

Erik Admin

I think that's perfectly fine.

There's technically no 'need' for SS cardio in a plan.

The issue with 4 interval workouts a week is the fact that it's still an intensive workout, and you could run the risk of localized overtraining of the legs, particularly the quads which are really active in bike sprints.

I guess it would also depend on what the rest of your lower body training looked like.

7. Blondell

Even if two days would have back to back HIIT?

8. Erik

Erik Admin

I was more referring to the 'just doing intervals' part of it. See my follow up on how the rest of the training, particularly for the lower body, is structured.

I don't think four days is necessary at all.

Three would be my personal limit. :shrug:

9. Patricia

Patricia Well-Known Member

Can I do one more?

:stalker3:

:D

10. straitshooter

Ok but just to clarify, it's OK if i choose to do 4 days of it right? I personally prefer doing it over anything else...mostly because of the time factor!

11. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Why do you want to do that much if you're not prepping?

12. Erik

Erik Admin

Like I said, I think depending on how your lower body training is set up, it can definitely be too much (ie. localized overtraining).

Perhaps if they were really short sessions ...

13. straitshooter

because i love food! :) haha

14. straitshooter

thank you!

And thanks to those that responded!

15. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Heehee. In that case, I second Erik's suggestion for shorter sessions if you want to do HIIT 4x a week.

16. straitshooter

sorry to be a pain....but by shorter sessions, are you talking about me reducing the amount of intervals? so maybe 12 intervals or 10 intervals instead of 15?

17. Neely

Neely lolz

Reduce the total time. Going by the number of cycles you go through would differ depending on the times you're using for your work/rest periods.

So, if you're doing 20 minute sessions now, cut those down to 10 minute sessions (excluding warmup and cool down phases).

18. straitshooter

thank you.

19. PowerManDL

PowerManDL Banned

I'd worry more about the central/systemic effects of it than the effects on the legs themselves.

So long as you're not slamming out any super-heavy weight sessions or going out to do sprint acceleration work alongside it you shouldn't have any problems.

20. Built

Built Just watch me.

I do four HIIT workouts - two of them on a recumbent, two on treadmills. Recumbent is the only kind of bike I can use since I hurt my back, and it's very quad intensive. Running sprints hit hamstrings more than quads. Keep in mind my entire cardio workout takes me about 20 minutes, including warmup, sprints, and cooldown.

So far, I seem to be handling it fine. I think I'd run into injuries if I didn't vary the modality.