Why alternate sets between 2 different exercises?

Discussion in 'Training' started by mackie, Oct 6, 2008.

1. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

More from the "expert". Yep, same guy I referred to in my TRX thread. Apparently, he is on my nerves. :lol: (His obnoxious behavior comes through in all his posts... fitness-related or not.)

This following quote is an excerpt from his lo-o-o-ng rant about why he hates working out with his girlfriend (or someone he's been dating). It was posted in the form of a long list of criteria, a woman must meet, in order for her to enjoy herself on a date with him, at the gym. Actually, it looked more like a list of criteria she must meet in order for him to enjoy himself with her. At any rate, this is only part of it. The flavor of the list, in its entirety was :blink:.

Anyway, back to my original question... why alternate sets between 2 different exercises:
    Ok, his arrogance aside, If he told me to do that I would tell him:
    a) uh... by the time I finish dinking around to determine my 10-rep max, I'll have done a few sets.
    b) I'll choose my weight/sets/reps, thank you.
    c) and unless you can give me a good reason, for flipping back & forth between a set of the chest exercise and a set of the back exercise, I'll complete all sets of one exercise before proceeding to the next, thank you.

eta: and d) bite me, nimrod!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

It sounds like he's talking about doing antagonistic supersets.

3. mackie

I'm not sure. That was all he said about it. And his date/girlfriend was supposed to use her whole brain to "understand and execute".

4. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Whatever he's talking about one thing's for sure: he's a total git. :lol:

5. Audrey

Audrey Well-Known Member

:yeahthat:

There are several advantages to doing supersetting antagonistic muscles:
    1. It may make you a bit stronger in the other muscle you are pairing your superset with
    2. More importantly, it significantly allows you to cut down on your gym time while not hurting your performance. That is, if you are doing heavy sets of say, bench press, and need to rest 3 minutes between each sets, if you instead superset your bench press with say, seated cable rows, you may only need to rest 60 seconds between your sets. So it would go like this:

You would do one set of bench press
    Rest 60 seconds
    Do one set of seated cable rows
    Rest 60 seconds
    Do one set of bench press
    Rest 60 seconds
    and so forth until you complete all your sets of bench press and cable rows.

By the time you are ready to do your next set of bench press, you would have rested 60 seconds (before doing your set of seated cable rows), then about 30-60 seconds (depending on how long it takes you to perform one set of seated cable rows) and then another 60 seconds before doing your set. 60 seconds + 30-60 seconds + 60 seconds = about 3 minutes of rest between each set of bench press.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Audrey

Audrey Well-Known Member

Oh, and he seems like a real jerk :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  7. mackie

Thank you, Audrey. I've done a search, here, on supersets, because I see it mentioned often. I've seen several posts but still wasn't sure exactly what it meant. People would list supersets in their workouts, and name the specific exercises but I didn't pick up on the alternating thing. Couldn't quite figure out what put the super in supersets. :lol:

Guess I should have posted my question in the 'Beginner' forum.:oops:

And adorable baby!!!!!!!!

Yes. I don't see why anyone would want to spend time with him, at the gym or anywhere else.